What is the Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate?

All landlords are required to have their gas appliances serviced regularly to make sure they’re efficient and safe. It’s the law, as stated in the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 . The Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate is the report which lists all the checks carried out in your annual gas safety inspection.

It will prove that all the gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for your tenants were checked by a registered Gas Safe engineer in the last 12 months.

It’s also known in the trade as the CP12 Certificate as it dates back to when CORGI was the body responsible for gas safety in the UK and the certificate was called the CORGI Proforma 12, or CP12.

Now the Gas Safe Register is the official body issuing the Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate in the UK, but it’s still widely referred to as the CP12 Certificate.

The Landlords’ Gas Safety Certificate explained

It’s a legal requirement for landlords to have all gas appliances, pipework, chimneys and flues checked every 12 months to make sure the property they’re renting out is safe for their tenants.

Once this check has been completed, you will get your CP12. You’ll need to provide a copy to your tenants within 28 days and you’ll need to give one to new renters when they move in.

Make sure you keep hold of old certificates as CP12s need to be kept for at least two years.

It’s really important that the check is only carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, or you won’t receive the proper legal certification.

If your tenants have brought any gas appliances with them, you are only responsible for the pipework that supplies them, but it’s worth including them in your annual check.

You should also let your tenants know how to turn off the gas at the mains and what to do if there was a gas emergency. You should also tell your renters who the gas transporter is. These differ depending on where you live and if you’re not sure, find out your gas transporter.